Google+

History

You are here : About Us / About Us / History

1921

Montagu Evans founded

The firm of Montagu Evans was founded in the year 1921, when the late Captain Montagu Evans left the family firm of Edwin Evans & Sons, which had been founded in Battersea in 1880, and opened on his own account at 52 James Street, Oxford Street, London with a £10 loan from a friend.

Captain Montagu Evans' son, Basil Evans, joined the partnership in 1931 and was made a Partner in 1935 when the firm was altered to Montagu Evans and Sons.

The Evans father and son coined the motto ‘Nihil Pro Certo Hebrte’ which translated means ‘Take Nothing for Granted’.

1950s

Post War

The early post-war years produced vast amount of work for the practice in war damage claims and
​derequisitioning problems, as well as architectural work. Offices opened in Brunswick Square, Doughty Street and Bloomsbury Square as well as Redhill, Surrey.

In the 1950’s the Rating side of the firm expanded under Basil Evans and Dick Mallett with substantial instructions from a large number of multiple shop firms and public sector clients – still a mainstay of the firm’s business activities.

1960s

Rapid Expansion

In the 1960’s the firm consolidated into a single office in Awdry House, 11 Kingsway and the firm expanded rapidly in the fields of Rating, Valuation and Town Planning. A Scottish office was opened in 1962 in Edinburgh, followed by the opening of our Glasgow office a decade later.

1970s
-1980s

New Departments

During the 1970s and 1980s the firm developed considerable expertise in the fields of landlord and tenant legislation, economic development appraisal, property taxation, building development and project management. Further expansion took place with new departments in London to advise on Property Investment and Commercial Agency.
 
As a result, in 1988, the London office moved from Kingsway to Dover Street in the West End and in 1994 an office was opened in the heart of the City.

1990s

Great Success

In the1990’s the firm were advising on some of the largest retail development in the country including White City London, Bluewater Kent, The Gyle Edinburgh, Buchanan Galleries Glasgow and The Bullring Birmingham. All of these schemes have proven to be of great success and partners of the firm worked on these projects for over a decade.

 
Although the late captain might not recognise the faces at Montagu Evans now, he would certainly recognise the spirit and guiding philosophy of the firm.